|Friend us on Facebook||
The Oldest Show in the Northwest
June 3-9, 2013
Boots, Chaps & Cowboy Hats
|Kick off - April 6 at the EOLS Clubhouse ~ 6 pm|
Welcome . . .
The officers and directors of the Eastern Oregon Livestock Show extend you a sincere welcome to our show. Our show is among the oldest in the Northwest. We hope you will join us at our show to enjoy, not only the rodeo and pari-mutuel racing, but also take time to view the many fine 4-H and FFA projects that will be on display at the grounds. These exhibits represent many months of hard work and dedication by the youth and their leaders of not just Eastern Oregon, but from all over Oregon.
Please come join us and be prepared to have a great time at the 105th year of the Eastern Oregon Livestock Show.
|4-H & FFA Auction|
|Promotions & Rodeo Souvenir Program|
|4-H/FFA Show Entries|
Pat Stitzel of Union, pictured above, carried the flag in the Eastern Oregon Livestock Show PRCA Rodeos' "Grand Entry" for over 20 years.
Sunday Only Rodeo Package -
2 Adult & 2 Kids tickets $30
Student: age 6-18
5 & under free
Purchase Advance Tickets:
from royalty members
A Bit of History for the Eastern Oregon Livestock Show
From a modest beginning in 1907 under the leadership of Thomas Brasher, the Eastern Oregon Livestock Show has grown to one of the biggest and best stock shows in the entire Northwest. The years have brought many changes to the show. From the old time unusual contests such as Roman Chariot racing, horse relays, and draft horse races, fighting bull competitions, to what we now see, the highly organized pari-mutuel races and hard riding rodeo events. Mae Butler Maas was the first queen of the Eastern Oregon Livestock Show, chosen in 1911.
In 1911, when William Vogel was president, beef and dairy cattle were added to the show and between that year and 1920 swine and sheep also became a part of the show. As the animals were brought to the show the buildings to house them were also gradually added. Over the last 15 years many of those original buildings have been removed and replaced with newer updated facilities with handicap accessible restrooms, shower facilities and panels for stalling the animals. The original “Hess Barn” still remains to stall the Court and Directors horses.
It was not until 1925 that the first 4-H and FFA stock appeared at the show. Over 700 animals were entered that year and the number increases steadily each year as does the amount raised by the sale of the market animals.
In the 1970’s the EOLS was known for its Blue Sage Tac Team which consisted of twenty girls, ranging from age nine to sixteen, riding bareback using only a tac rein, voice, and leg pressures to control their horses. These girls performed for many years at shows throughout Oregon and Southern Washington, thrilling the crowds with their free-form jumping routines.
The Eastern Oregon Livestock Show is truly the biggest and best little show in the west, but it takes dedication and hard work by hundreds of people to make it bigger and better each year.
|For more EOLS information||
PO Box 1052, Union, OR 97883